One of the best parts about moving into a new house has definitely been having more SPACE! I love it. Our new house has one more bedroom than our last did, so as soon as we started planning to move I started planning for a guest bedroom.
If you know me, you might know how weird I am. (“And if you don’t know, now you know” – Christopher Wallace, AKA Biggie Smalls). I had planned out exactly what was going in every corner of the house – based on my 5 minute viewing of the house before we applied for it. The same goes for the spare room – but I remember it being a lot smaller! Hence the single bed. I toss and turn and night (that’s a lie) thinking that we could have fit a double bed in that space, but by the time I figured that out, I’d already bought a single bed and all the bedding. Ahh well. At least the single bed leaves so much room for activities.
I’m a lost cause, having wandered down the path of addiction. Addiction to rose gold and copper. Kmart is my enabler. If you’re a big fan of K-to-the-mart like I am, you’ve probably seen the various copper decor pieces they’re stocking. If you’re a really big fan, like I am, this is Stan, you’ll know that a lot of these pieces are super hard to get your paws on – always selling out. This room has pretty much become a museum of all the copper + rose gold pieces I looked for so many times, before finally finding them. Woe betide anyone who ever suggests I change up the colour scheme in the future. Not an option.
I love white bedding, and felt it would really make the metallic accents in the room pop (whenever I read the word pop in my head I SHOUT IT. POP!). I think the taupe accents add a bit of warmth, too – especially because they literally are made of fluff and fluff is warm. It’s science.
So without further ado, here’s a full product list!
- The bed frame (and mattress) are from The Warehouse, and not sorry for bragging because I assembled it ALL BY MYSELF. The instructions told me I needed 2 people and at least 2m by 2m of clear space. I had one person and not that much space. I called the instructions Jon Snow because they knew nothing. I also got them both half-price. I deserved this brag.
- The quilt, pillows, sheets and dot cushions are all from Kmart. I originally bought the pink cushion, although I wanted the white one instead but they didn’t have it in stock. Until last weekend. Now I have both, and I can’t bring myself to banish the pink off the bed because it was there first. I need help.
- The throw at the end of the bed and the cream cushion are from The Warehouse, and they up the room’s fluff quota significantly. Fluff is important.
- The white fluffy rug on the ground is from Kmart and whenever anyone walks on it I get heart palpitations because have you tried cleaning a white fluffy rug? I still love it though.
- The side table is a barstool from Kmart.
- On the side table is the Copper Geometric Candle Holder from Kmart, that is never in stock. So naturally, when I saw these fully stocked at my local store, I bought four. As you do. Because that’s normal. I’m contemplating doing a giveaway of one of these on here soon – what do you think? If you’re keen, let me know in the comments!
- My little boxer dog with a crown guarding the side table is from The Warehouse. Isn’t he cute?
- The copper lantern and pink ceramic vases on the windowsill are both from The Warehouse.
- The laughter print on the wall is from Kmart. Photos don’t do it justice but the lettering is metallic copper.
- The ladder shelves are from Kmart and I wasn’t sure about putting them in here, I originally just wanted white furniture. These were from our old house and I nearly gave them away, but figured, eh, the spare room has black curtains. ‘Spose it can have black shelves too. (obviously some highly technical design theory at work here).
- The copper clock is from Kmart. I’m considering moving it into my kitchen which also has a copper and white theme – keep an eye out for that in a future post!
- The tealight holders are from The Warehouse. I’m obsessed with the colour!
- The Japanese doll is probably one of my most precious posessions. She’s a Hakata doll that my mum bought for me when we both went on an exchange trip to Fukuoka for my school in 2004. Even age the age of 12 I was a cat freak, as you can probably guess, by my mum’s choice. Fun fact, I used to know Japanese (loosely) back then, and so I called her Yubina, which translates to elegant.
- The copper basket is from Kmart, and I was so excited to finally find it in stock that I nearly repeated what I did with the copper candle holder, and bought multiple. But I didn’t. So much self-control. I’m proud.
- On the wall is the most expensive piece of decor in the whole house. So I gave it its own wall. It’s a business degree, or something like that. I find it’s really great to curl up in front of, rocking in the foetal position, whenever I get the annual letter with my student loan balance.
Another room down! Hope you enjoyed this post, and found some inspiration if you’re looking to decorate your own space. I didn’t realise until writing this that literally 99% of the things in here are from Kmart or The Warehouse. But hopefully this just proves that you really don’t need to spend a lot to make a space that you love! Just like you don’t have to buy four of the same item, just because it’s the first time you’ve seen the item in stock. Ahem. Next time, if all goes well, I’ll have our finished dining area to show you!
What do you think of our guest room? Do you have any weaknesses, like copper is for me? I’d love to hear what you have to say in the comments!